Pages

Monday 19 May 2014

What my children are teaching me about being a wife.


As most people in my life know, I have added a girl to my two boys and my scale of the sexes is now, somewhat, balanced.  With all the time I've been having to observe my little madam and add my experience with her to those I have with the boys....I've discovered something about my self.  I want to be a better wife because of my children.

In the next few posts, I'll share a few things I have observed and intend to pursue as a wife.

1. My husband needs me to be my best self.

I was thinking about how much better a mom I am, when I am well rested (considering my eldest is on the austism spectrum, the younger boy is in his tumultuous two year old phase - think potty training wars and little miss is but a few weeks old, think interrupted sleep). I can therefore assume that I am a much more pleasant and pleasing wife when I am well rested, at peace and presenting my best. My husband deserves a wife like that. I can tell you that even if I should know that, and to be honest I do know that, I have not always practiced it.  It is hopeful that good wives are even better mothers.  So I am doing my best to committing to the following -

a) Get as much night time sleep that is possible for a new mother. I will wake up in a much better mood and more ready to attack my duties and pleasures of wife-hood and motherhood if I get more rest.  I'm sure my husband would appreciate it very much.

b) Getting dressed.  Being an example to my children is important to me. I did not realize that by me simply looking my best brought so much joy to my husband until we got into a rather serious disagreement recently. The root of that disagreement and my husband's chagrin was my sloppy choice of attire that day. He felt that I was not making an effort and was hurt by my apparent lack of care for his opinion.  When even the smallest attempt at dressing up is made - an earring put in, a neat pants or skirt put on - I get very good responses from my man. ;)  And my younger son says "Wa-ow mommy." Very encouraging.

I will continue with the other points in another post. Has motherhood changed the way you operate with your husband? If yes, please comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment